Fire in Brusly likely caused by space heater next to bed
Posted on 11/26/2013 2:00:00 PM.
State Fire Marshal Butch Browning says the deadly blaze in the West Baton Rouge Parish town of Brusly this morning was likely caused by a space heater. He says they were called to the scene of a trailer fire just before 5 this morning and were told a elderly woman was still inside.


"They went in and rescued the victim but attempts to resuscitate were not successful," Browning said.

Browning says there is evidence that a working smoke alarm in the home woke up 76 year old Verna Craig, but she was still unable to escape because she was elderly and disabled. He also says there was a space heater in another room about 12 inches from a bed.

Browning says space heaters should always have a three foot clearance around them. He says we need to use extreme caution when it comes to heating our homes on these cold nights.

"The smoke detectors are important and it's also important to know what you're going to do if it goes off," Browning said. "And before you go to bed every night make a quick run through your house and turn off any space heaters that pose a hazard or that aren't being used."
 
 
 
 

fatal fire, brusly, trailer, fire marshal, butch browning



Provided by ABC News


Copyright 2017. All rights reserved | Privacy Policy


This site powered by PromoSuite Interactive